About the RDA Registry and vocabularies
Translations of element sets
Download files for translation
- RDA Agent properties
- RDA Classes
- RDA Expression properties
- RDA Item properties
- RDA Manifestation properties
- RDA Meta-element properties
- RDA Place properties
- RDA Work properties
Unconstrained element set
The labels and definitions in the unconstrained element set are derived from the standard RDA element sets. Generally, terms for the RDA Work, Expression, Manifestation, and Item entities are replaced with "resource", and terms for the RDA Person, Family, and Corporate Body entities are replaced with "agent", in order to remove RDA/FRBR semantics.
The unconstrained element set is not included in RDA Reference, but it is desirable that translations are made to help developers and users of non-RDA/non-FRBR applications. It is recommended that translations of this element set are updated last, to benefit from translations of the standard, constrained element sets. In many cases, a simple global substitution for "work", "expression", "manifestation", and "item", with "resource" and "person", "family", and "corporate body" with "agent" is sufficient.
General information about translations
Export a file for translation
Anyone can export the current data by using the OMR export facility. Import is restricted to authorized OMR accounts.
To download a file, start by clicking on the name of the file in the Download files for translation list. The file name is linked to the beta-test Export tab of the OMR value vocabulary. Then follow these instructions:
- Use the Create New Export option to export the file for translation.
- Choose the Selected Columns: Select none option.
- Required columns marked * will always be selected as defaults.
- Select the following Datatype Properties (translatable) in addition to the defaults:
- Do not select Object Properties (resources) other than the defaults.
Do not change the filename of the exported file. It contains data required for version control and synchronization.
Translate the exported file
Open the csv (comma-separated variable) file exported from the OMR in a spreadsheet application that supports UTF-8 encoding, for example Google Sheets or another spreadsheet with the correct encoding setting. The spreadsheet must be able to download or save data in csv format.
This is required to avoid corrupting non-Roman script and symbols, diacritics, etc.
Do not amend the data for reg_id, name, uri, type, or status.
Enter or update the translations in the parallel columns. Use the following content guide:
- The preferred RDA Registry label for the element. There is only one preferred label for each language. The label is a verbal phrase using the one of the template patterns "is …" and "has …" + ToolkitLabel. The template should be adjusted to meet specific translation requirements in consultation with the RSC Translations Working Group. For languages that do not support this syntax, use the ToolkitLabel on its own.
- The RDA Registry definition for the element. The definition includes the type of entity to which the element applies (the domain), using the template pattern "Relates a [domain entity] to " + ToolkitDefinition. The template should be adjusted to meet specific translation requirements in consultation with the RSC Translations Working Group. There is only one description for each language.
- Other RDA Registry information qualifying the definition or scope of the element. There is only one note for each language.
- The preferred RDA Toolkit label for the element. There is only one preferred label for each language.
- The RDA Toolkit definition of the concept. There is only one definition for each language.
Freeze the top row to help match the data columns.
Enter or amend the translation in the column next to the English text. Do not amend the English text.
Do not translate the Name column. This is auto-generated from Toolkit label in camelCase (Wikipedia article).
Download or save the updated file from the spreadsheet in csv format. This format is required for importing the changes into the OMR.
Do not change the filename of the updated file. It contains data required for version control and synchronization.
Import an updated translation
Send the updated csv file to the RSC Chair. The RSC Chair will import the file into the OMR during the beta-test. Files can be sent one at a time or in a batch. Large batches should be zipped.
A printable version of the combined procedures for element sets and value vocabularies is available for download.
- Procedures for translations of RDA Reference, 15 December 2016: PDF application/PDF