About the RDA Registry and vocabularies
Translations of value vocabularies
Download files for translation
- RDA Aspect Ratio Designation
- RDA Book Format
- RDA Broadcast Standard
- RDA Carrier Extent Unit
- RDA Carrier Type
- RDA Cartographic Data Type
- RDA Colour Content
- RDA Configuration of Playback Channels
- RDA Content Type
- RDA Conventional Collective Title
- RDA File Type
- RDA Font Size
- RDA Form of Musical Notation
- RDA Form of Notated Movement
- RDA Form of Tactile Notation
- RDA Format of Notated Music
- RDA Frequency
- RDA Generation
- RDA Groove Pitch of an Analog Cylinder
- RDA Groove Width of an Analog Disc
- RDA Illustrative Content
- RDA Layout
- RDA Material
- RDA Media Type
- RDA Mode of Issuance
- RDA Polarity
- RDA Presentation Format
- RDA Production Method
- RDA Recording Medium
- RDA Reduction Ratio Designation
- RDA Regional Encoding
- RDA Scale Designation
- RDA Sound Content
- RDA Special Playback Characteristics
- RDA Status of Identification
- RDA Terms
- RDA Track Configuration
- RDA Type of Recording
- RDA Video Format
General information about translations
Export a file for translation
Anyone can export the current data by using the OMR export facility. Import is restricted to authorized OMR accounts.
To download a file, start by clicking on the name of the file in the Download files for translation list. The file name is linked to the beta-test Export tab of the OMR value vocabulary. Then follow these instructions:
- Use the Create New Export option to export the file for translation.
- Select the data columns to export.
- Choose the Selected Columns: Select none option.
- Required columns marked * will always be selected as defaults.
- Select the following Datatype Properties (translatable) in addition to the defaults:
- alternative label
- scope note
- Do not select Object Properties (resources) other than the defaults.
- Additional Language: Select the language of translation from the list.
- Do not use the Advanced option. The defaults are correct for translations.
- Use the Export CSV option to export the file.
- Save the export file.
Do not change the filename of the exported file. It contains data required for version control and synchronization.
Translate the exported file
Open the csv (comma-separated variable) file exported from the OMR in a spreadsheet application that supports UTF-8 encoding, for example Google Sheets or another spreadsheet with the correct encoding setting. The spreadsheet must be able to download or save data in csv format.
This is required to avoid corrupting non-Roman script and symbols, diacritics, etc.
Do not amend the data for reg_id, uri, or status.
Enter or update the translations in the parallel columns. Use the following content guide:
- preferred label
- The preferred RDA Registry label for the concept. There is only one preferred label for each language. This has the same value as ToolkitLabel.
- alternative label
- A synonym of the preferred label in the translation language. Warning! Original English alternative labels should not be directly translated. Add each synonym deemed suitable for the translation language as an alternative label. Add new alternative label data columns with incremental numbering to the spreadsheet as required.
- The preferred RDA Toolkit label for the concept. There is only one preferred label for each language. This has the same value as preferred label.
- The RDA Registry definition of the concept. There is only one definition for each language. This has the same value as ToolkitDefinition.
- The RDA Toolkit definition of the concept. There is only one definition for each language. This has the same value as Definition.
- scope note
- Other RDA Registry information qualifying the definition or scope of the concept. There is only one scope note for each language.
Freeze the top row to help match the data columns.
Enter or amend the translation in the column next to the English text. Do not amend the English text.
Download or save the updated file from the spreadsheet in csv format. This format is required for importing the changes into the OMR.
Do not change the filename of the updated file. It contains data required for version control and synchronization.
Import an updated translation
Send the updated csv file to the RSC Chair. The RSC Chair will import the file into the OMR during the beta-test. Files can be sent one at a time or in a batch. Large batches should be zipped.
A printable version of the combined procedures for element sets and value vocabularies is available for download.
- Procedures for translations of RDA Reference, 15 December 2016: PDF application/PDF