About the RDA Registry and vocabularies
Work on a draft version of the RDA element sets and value vocabularies began in 2008, following the Data model meeting at the British Library, London, England, between experts in RDA and related metadata communities. Since then a significant amount of discussion and learning has occurred. The current RDA vocabularies reflect that understanding.
The draft version of the elements available at http://rdvocab.info were never officially published, so those elements are deprecated and users and applications redirected to the published versions . A Map from deprecated to published RDA properties contains redirections for the most popular properties that have been deprecated; a Map from deprecated to published RDA classes contains redirections for all of the classes that have been deprecated.
In January 2014 the RDA vocabularies were made available in published form in the namespace http://rdaregistry.info/. This operational version of the elements has been extensively rearranged, and is updated as required to reflect decisions by the RDA Steering Committee) (RSC).
The published vocabularies are currently available in several sets which reflect the underlying IFLA Library Reference Model. There is also a version for library and other users who prefer properties not locked-in to LRM. These "unconstrained" elements are in a separate set, but they have the same internal relationships as the elements in the "constrained" sets.
The RDA Development Team, with representation from RSC, TMQ, and American Library Association Digital Reference, works on extensions and refinements of the RDA element sets and value vocabularies. The RDA editor RIMMF (RDA in Many Metadata Formats) is developed by TMQ to use the vocabularies and other RDA Registry services. The Team is always happy to discuss current and future requirements of users or potential users of the vocabularies.
For further information about the development of the RDA vocabularies, see:
- Instructions, interfaces, and interoperable data: the RIMMF experience with RDA / Gordon Dunsire, Deborah Fritz, and Richard Fritz. Paper presented at IFLA WLIC 2016.
- Building a platform to manage RDA vocabularies and data for an international, linked data world / Jon Phipps, Gordon Dunsire, and Diane Hillmann. In: Journal of Library Metadata, v.15, issue 3-4 (2015), pp. 252-264. DOI: 10.1080/19386389.2015.1099990
- RDA and the semantic Web : lectio magistralis in library science : Florence, Italy, Florence University, 4th March, 2014 and the accompanying presentation by Gordon Dunsire.
- Seminar: Global Interoperability and Linked Data in Libraries, 18-19 June 2012, University of Florence. Italy.
- RDA and the Semantic Web, Linked Data Environment / Barbara Tillett
- Linked and open data: RDA and bibliographic control / Alan Danskin
- Five Years On - Background and Planning for the Future and the accompanying presentation. Presented by Dr. Barbara B. Tillett for the Seminar held at the British Library, London, April 27, 2012.